Just when you thought things could not get any crazier, I got the news that an Alaska school board removed five “controversial” books from district classrooms. And now I still remember when Tarzan books were removed from libraries for promoting running naked in the jungle and living together outside of wedlock.
But in this case, the books are not pulp adventures, as the “controversial” titles are
- “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings” by Maya Angelou
- “Catch-22” by Joseph Heller
- “The Things They Carried” by Tim O’Brien
- “The Great Gatsby” by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- “Invisible Man” by Ralph Ellison
And it is weird, because I got the news just as I was preparing a post about The Things They Carried for my Italian blog.Continue reading